Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Elder Stott's Farewell

Elder Stott's farewell was held on Sunday, August 9th, 2015. Many family and friends joined together to wish him well on his AUSSIE mission!


Thanks to the best family in the world!




It was an emotional day for sure. 
Happy tears with his big sis.




A few have asked, so here is his talk from Sacrament Meeting that day. Words from a future missionary. Enjoy!

Mission Farewell Talk
            Take a deep breath.  Good afternoon Brother’s and Sisters, I am Brother Stott I didn’t know if I should go by Elder yet so we’ll just go with Brother right now so I won’t get in trouble. I report to the MTC in three days to serve a full-time mission in the Sydney Australia South Mission.  I am super pumped to have the opportunity to serve a full-time mission I know it will help me in ways that I cannot believe.  Before I start my talk today I need to forewarn you guys of some things.  I am kind of a dork so please ignore my weird hand gestures or weird analogies they make sense in my mind but probably not anybody else’s.  Also, please forgive my not good English sometimes I wonder if I really should have graduated high school.  Now if it looks like I am strangling my paper up here it is probably because I am but don’t worry it’s not suppose to be anybody’s face.  Now last I got the worst family gene ever!  The ball-baby gene, thanks dad.  However, someone has to be strong for the family and I know that everyone in the first few rows are going to be crying so I will try my hardest to be the strong one in the family and not cry.
            Also, before I start I would like to say some Thank You’s real quick.  There are so many people who have helped me to get to this point in my life.  I owe them everything.  I am not going to thank everybody by name because first of all I probably don’t remember all of your names and second I would hate to leave anybody out.  So I am just going to give one big THANK YOU to everybody who has helped me in my life. THANK YOU and I love you guys.  Thanks to all of my friends who have been there for me and especially thanks to all of my family for putting up with me through all the years.  It’ll probably be nice to get a break from me for two years.  Ok before I start crying let’s start…   
            Now for my talk I have been asked to speak on Standing in Holy Places.  What’s a better topic to be asked to talk about than that, on a Glorious Sabbath Day at church with all of our friends and family?  I’ll answer that nothin!!  When I received this topic I thought to myself oh well this’ll be easy I’ll just talk about church and the temple because those are holy places but I thought to myself there are so many more Holy Places in this world than that.  Of course there are no more Holy Places than church and the temple but why can’t we make work or places we are often Holy Places.
In 2013 the mutual theme was “Stand ye in Holy Places.” Perfect! They had a whole mutual theme based off of my topic for today.  In D&C 87:8 it says…(read scripture).  When I read this scripture I thought to myself well I can stand, but how do I not be moved?  In a quote from Elder Hales he says, “Above all, have faith in the Savior! Fear not! As we diligently live the gospel, we become strong in the Lord.  In the strength of the Lord we are able to stand against any philosophy or creed that denies the Savior and contradicts the great, eternal plan of happiness for all of God’s children.  If we have faith and the companionship of the Holy Ghost we will not “Be Moved” by anything that Satan throws our way.  If we are spiritually strong we can make any place we want a Holy Place.  So yes of course there are Holy Places like church, our homes, and the strongest of all the temple.  But if we are spiritually strong, things and places we are and do everyday can become Holy Places and the devil cannot tempt us.  The Spirit that we feel at church and at our homes with our families is a special spirit it is the time when the world does not control what we do or think is right in our lives.  President Thomas S. Monson gave a talk in the October 2011 General Conference in this talk he talked about the world today and how it is changing.  A quote from President Monson says, “Although the world has changed, the laws of God remain constant. They have not changed; they will not change. The Ten Commandments are just that—commandments. They are not suggestions. They are every bit as requisite today as they were when God gave them to the children of Israel. If we but listen, we hear the echo of God’s voice, speaking to us here and now:
“Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
“Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. …
“Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. …
“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. …
“Honour thy father and thy mother. …
“Thou shalt not kill.
“Thou shalt not commit adultery.
“Thou shalt not steal.
“Thou shalt not bear false witness. …
“Thou shalt not covet.”2
Our code of conduct is definitive; it is not negotiable. It is found not only in the Ten Commandments but also in the Sermon on the Mount, given to us by the Savior when He walked upon the earth. It is found throughout His teachings. It is found in the words of modern revelation.  In the Book of Mormon in Mormon 9:9 it says…(read scripture.)  The prophet Mormon tells us that God is “unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity.”3 In this world where nearly everything seems to be changing, His constancy is something on which we can rely, an anchor to which we can hold fast and be safe, lest we be swept away into uncharted waters.”
            As President Monson says the world controls everything.  It tells us what is right and what is socially acceptable, but we know what is right or wrong through the spirit and the commandments.  When we are standing in Holy Places it is easier to listen to the spirit than when we are not in Holy Places.  In Malaysia they built a tunnel in 2003 called the “Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel” also known as the “SMART Tunnel.”  The main purpose of this tunnel was to help solve the problems of Flash Floods.  There are two parts of this tunnel, the stormwater tunnel and the motorway tunnel.  This tunnel was built to be very strong so it could withstand the forces of nature and floods.  Now if we think of our day as living inside of a tunnel.  Which is kind of what we have to do everyday.  We have to protect ourselves from the world and the ways of the world.  However though, even if we are going about our day inside a tunnel like the SMART Tunnel the devil is very perceptive and sneaky.  I think of the devil kind of like Swiper in Dora the Explora.  Now I warned you guys of my dorky analogies.  Now the devil can be very tricky sometimes.  He might seem nice and like our friend sometimes but the next thing we know he has stabbed us right in the back and has tricked us.  Even if we are in the strongest tunnel in the world or we have a strong spirit or unshakeable faith none of us are perfect.  Sometimes there are cracks or flaws in our tunnels and Satan will find them and tempt us to become as miserable as he is.  But if we are constantly standing in Holy Places we strengthen our cracks in our tunnels and become stronger. 
             President Monson talks about in the talk I mentioned before about one way we can strength our spirits and to Stand in Holy Places.  By praying to our Heavenly Father often and to have a relationship with him through prayer we can ask for things that we need to help us to overcome the temptations of Satan. In 3 Nephi 18:18-20 it says… (read scripture.)  If we pray to our Heavenly Father often and ask for things that we need he will be there to help and answer our prayers.  If we are willing to do our part to stand in Holy Places we can be blessed with things that we need to strengthen our spirits. 
The church is amazing and has blessed us in so many ways.  The church has provided countless ways to participate in church activities and stand in Holy Places over the week.  Of course there is the regular meeting’s on Sunday but the Lord has provided other ways during the week to stand in Holy Places.  We have the opportunity to have family home evening every Monday night.  There is also mutual once a week for youth.  Seminary and institute are available for youth and young adults everyday.  There are monthly things such as home and visiting teaching.  The Lord has provided ways for us to Stand in Holy Places to strength our spirit and testimonies.  So our tunnels can become Holy Places to stand constantly to protect us from Satan and the ways of the world.
            These quotes are from youth members in our church that stand in Holy Places during this corrupt time on this earth.  One kid from Washington says  “Standing in holy places means that I must carefully choose how I spend my free time, which friends I hang out with, and what things I think about. When I remember that I can have the companionship of the Holy Spirit and be worthy of my duties as a priesthood holder, it helps me be obedient.”
            Another kid from Utah says, “Service helps me gain a different perspective by showing me all of my blessings as well as what I can give to others. It’s a way for me to be in a holy place, take Christ’s name upon me, and be an example everywhere I go.” 
Just like these youth in our church today if we Stand in Holy Places we can be strong in the church and overcome the strong and very deceptive powers of Satan. 
I know that if we Stand in Holy Places we can be strengthened to go out into the world and face temptations that Satan throws our way and overcome them and with the companionship of the Holy Ghost and through prayer and through our unshakeable faith and indestructible tunnels we can Stand in Holy Places and return and live with our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ again.  I would like end with my testimony of this Church…

No comments:

Post a Comment